Hello my sweet friends! As most of you know I brought in the new year with a positive COVID test (and a side of strep throat). To be fair and completely NOT surprised I was definitely living a carefree life by going out and about to several public places around the beautiful holiday vibed month of December. I don’t know, maybe I was rebelling a little and in one of my YOLO moods. Lol…Or maybe sometimes I just want so badly for things to be back to normal. I miss the way life used to be before our pandemic hit us. I’m sure we all do. Either way I wasn’t going to let a virus slow me down from living life and having a little fun, while doing my best to try to get into the holiday spirit. And to be honest, it didn’t matter where I went or what I did, it still didn’t feel like Christmas as hard as I tried. Did anyone else feel the same way this year??
Anyways, it brought me to this – a virus that indeed kicked my ass, a virus that I’m still having a hard time understanding and learning more and more about as I live through it fighting my way back to gain my everyday strength. But when it comes down to it, we don’t have to understand it and perhaps never will. Our job (and this is very important) is to keep our immune systems stronger than the pathogen to fight it off from taking over our bodies.
I’m not a doctor, but I’m more than happy to share my personal experience with fighting it, what I did to get better, and what you can always do to keep your immune system up and running strong to protect your body from being exposed to not just COVID but all pathogens.
SOME THINGS WORKING AGAINST ME…
Please keep in mind I do have some things working against me. As most of you know, I also suffer from Lyme Disease, Hypo-Thyrodism, EBV (Epstein-barr virus) aka chronic fatigue (as stated in my last blog, if you’ve ever had Mono you have this) amongst other health issues that were caused from the Lyme like mold exposure aka (CIRS) Chronic Inflammatory response syndrome, but that’s another blog post for another time. It’s no secret that anyone with underlying health issues is bound to have to fight a little harder if exposed to COVID. With that being said allow me to introduce to you my self-care daily regimen of supplements, immune remedies, and self care.
Everything mentioned in this blog will be available for you all to shop in the link provided HERE. You can also download the LIKEtoKNOW.it app and follow my shop on there if you don’t already @Mishyb11 or click the link in my bio under “Shop my Looks.” Your support is always much appreciated, more than you know!!
First I’d like to break down my symptoms along with daily changes that I personally experienced. Please note that this is what I personally went through. Every single person is completely different in terms of how they will respond to any pathogen.
SIDE NOTE : On day 7, my Dr. put me on a Z-Pak due to an excruciating pain in my throat which ended up being strep. Good news – within a few hours my throat was clearing up! Bad news…We all know antibiotics are terrible for the immune system, harsh on the gut, and make it more difficult to fight off viruses. So I definitely have a love/hate relationship with them. But they helped clear up my throat infection, and I was so grateful for that.
SOMETHING TO CONSIDER… The day before I officially got sick, I had a very run down feeling, which I actually do get if I’m burning the candle at both ends and completely over-do it. And to be honest, I totally was. It was the holidays, and I was running around like a crazy person trying to get all these presents together making sure everything was perfect for everyone. All this amidst work and everyday life stuff and stress. So I burned myself out. Please take this into consideration. Deep down I know if I took better care of myself at that time and didn’t run myself ragged, I’m pretty sure I would have been able to fight off the exposure. Just saying.
- Days 1-5: severe fatigue, hard time getting out of bed. Inflammation in the sinus region; terrible headache/migraine; extremely painful sinus pressure in the eyes, head, and face; and brain fog.
- Days 6-10: severe sore throat, body sweats, body aches, complete lethargy, continued sinus pressure, pressure in the ears, loss of appetite, and brain fog.
- Days 11-14: complete loss of taste and smell, fatigue (slowly getting better), coughing started, light chest pain and tightness, mild pain and discomfort in the upper back where the lungs are located.
- Days 15-20: continued loss of taste and smell, brain fog, mild lingering cough. After about 3 weeks I was finally feeling better after tons of self care.
- Present Day (post-covid): brain fog, insomnia, fatigue (getting better every week)
Those were all of my symptoms. Just in case you’re wondering, I did not have a fever at all. But then again I actually don’t get fevers when I get sick, so I guess I had that going for me. As I write this I am currently on day 15 post-covid, and I feel like I’m slowly getting my energy back and just starting to feel better. I do feel as if this is indeed a tricky virus, though. There were days where I felt like I was definitely feeling better, and then I would wake up the following day feeling like I completely backtracked. So many things play a crucial role in moving forward to progress back to your old healthy self. These are some that have helped me…
TIPS TO SUPPORT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM…
- Get good sleep!!! Can’t stress this enough. It’s when your body heals most. 8-10 hours is needed to skyrocket the immune system.
- REST!! Listen to your body; it is speaking to you!! Be kind to yourself and do what it needs to recover (although still keep moving through rest periods, walk around etc. and take deep breaths occasionally to exercise the lungs).
- Keep your mind entertained! I’ve never Netflixed so much in my life, LOL. Favorite shows during this time were Cobra Kai, YOU, Gilmore Girls, and Jane the Virgin.
- Fasting – studies are showing that fasting 48-72 hours enhances the immune system. With the longer fast, the body eats up the old immune cells and regenerates new immune cells. (This is much easier when you’re sick and laying around doing nothing with no appetite.) Regularly though, I intermittent fast for about 16 hours. Please be sure to DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS to prevent dehydration and get those electrolytes! (I love Liquid IV)
- Drink LOTS of Water and other fluids. My favorite Teas : “STAY WELL” Tea and “CALM STOMACH” both by the brand Bigelow (sold at Mariano’s) and “Jammin Lemon Ginger” (sold at Jewel Osco) **Make Ginger your best friend. It is a wonderful anti-viral and amazing for the stomach. Any chamomile tea with lemon balm (chamomile is great for the stomach and has so many benefits along with relaxation etc.; lemon balm is also great for relaxation and a big antiviral as well) I drink this one before bedtime.
- Drink Lemon water if you don’t already! Medical Medium Protocols are ALWAYS extremely helpful! (One of my personal favorites he posted while I was sick was the Vitamin C shock therapy drink) and Lemon Honey Ginger Water.
- Stay away from inflammatory foods such as dairy, gluten, sugar, etc. A BIG game changer for me during this was also cutting out eggs. After reading and finding out eggs feed viruses, it was a no brainer I had to do without them as much as I love them. I did however notice a significant progress after cutting them out completely though so it was well worth it! (Anthony Williams you never disappoint, you brilliant man, you!) Read his books if you don’t already! He is brilliant and started the Celery juice movement healing people across the world. “Cleanse to Heal” is his latest masterpiece and is just as wonderful as his others! I personally have them all!
- Drink your Celery Juice!! I would tell you all the reasons why, but Anthony Williams does it so much better!
- Eat warm foods and fluids keeping the gut warm! It helps the immune system and overall digestion and gut health. I ate soups, veggie and chicken broth, bone broth, gluten free toast with honey, and oatmeal, along with my daily antioxidant superfood smoothie containing almond milk, wild blueberries, 1 banana, Acai powder, Spirulina, Chia seeds, Hemp seeds, Flaxseeds, Collagen, and a scoop of my favorite plant protein. The more antioxidants and superfoods the better, as we know their number one job is to protect your cells against free radicals in the body!
- Get a Humidifier. Once I started coughing and the virus was entering my respiratory system, this was a HUGE game changer for me! (Thanks Mom you’re the best – don’t know what I’d do without you!)
- Cut out all air fresheners, plug-ins, scented candles, etc. They are terrible for the immune system and respiratory system. (They are bad for your pets, too.)
- Workout/Exercise – ahhhh the many benefits. There are so many, but if we’re talking immune system, it builds new cells in the body!! It’s amazing for the immune system. Obviously when I say exercise, workout, and do yoga, I mean to do these things as a preventative from getting sick and after recovery when you’re healed – not during! It highly benefits every body system we have! I know that regularly working out has helped make my body strong in ways I can’t even explain.
- Meditate/Practice Yoga with some breathing exercises ( I love alternate nostril breathing). It’s great for anxiety and calms the nervous system. Also use positive affirmations. “I AM STRONG” “I AM HEALTHY,” etc.
- IV Treatments – There are several options offered. Some of my favorites are the immune push, meyer’s cocktail, glutathione push, and Vitamin C drip (all are great). I felt significantly better after doing a Vitamin C drip with a glutathione push post Covid healing. When doing an IV treatment, your body absorbs 100% of the vitamins and minerals being injected versus 20% of oral vitamins we take daily. There are a few places I know that offer this. I personally go to Raden Wellness Center and love it!
SUPPLEMENTS TO TAKE…
Ok, so moving forward to the part that I’m sure you’ve all been waiting for – what supplements to take! I’m actually going to share most of my daily supplement routine along with some add-ons I recently started taking to rev up my immune system to help fight COVID and to prevent a Lyme flare up. This is a lot for the body to break down. So it’s not all needed all the time. For example, Wellness Formula I personally only take when I feel my immune system is compromised. It’s also very helpful to get most things measured and monitored through blood labs to see where you are naturally in order to see exactly what your body needs.
- Super Critical Omega Complex – 900mg complex of all omegas. Works great for heart and brain health and is a great anti-inflammatory. Try to find one that is purified to remove mercury.
- Vitamin D – So crucial in supporting the immune system. Also great for calcium absorption and protecting bone, muscle, and heart health. I take 5,000 IU a day.
- Vitamin C – Immune system support, also great for the lungs. Known for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues. I take 1,000 mg. daily. I bumped this up to 4,000 mg. daily during COVID.
- L-Lysine – An essential amino acid that also works great as an antiviral and helps rebuild collagen and skin cells. 1,000 mg. every other day (daily during COVID).
- Zinc – Great Immune Support and metabolism function. 50 mg. daily
- Turmeric – 1500 mg daily. Vital anti-inflammatory, and is also great for detoxing. Everyone should be taking this daily in my opinion.
- Ginger – Great antiviral and stomach aid in digestion support. 500mg. daily
- Elderberry – 200mg., an amazingly powerful antioxidant. Great for fighting colds and viruses. Wonderful immune support for fighting off diseases.
- NAC – 600 mg. Helps repair cells against free radical damage, replenishes glutathione in the body, helps improve brain health, and is great for the liver. I went from every other day to every day twice a day during COVID. This supplement is selling out everywhere cause people know what’s up with this one! A must-have in your medicine cabinet, that’s for sure.
- Liposomal Glutathione – 500mg. daily. The holy grail of antioxidants and amazing for detoxing and cell renewal. Also extremely helpful with brain health (my absolute favorite).
- ALA – Strong Antioxidant properties, which may reduce inflammation, promote healthy nerve function and lower heart disease risk factors amongst many other benefits. I take 600 mg. daily.
- Resveratrol – Amazing antioxidant / anti-inflammatory and great for heart health and many other benefits as well. I take 250 mg. daily.
- Quercetin – Known to powerfully rev up the immune system working as a powerhouse antioxidant with anti-inflammatory effects! This is, as of recently, selling off the shelves in vitamin stores like crazy right now. *Tip – get a complex that contains the enzyme Bromelain in it. Bromelain also works as a great anti-inflammatory and is known to induce great lung health and also works as a digestive enzyme. Both are also great for your tummy, treating things like leaky gut, etc!
- Biotonic Adaptogenic Tonic (Adrenal Support) – There are so many great supplements to support your adrenals. This one is my favorite though for when you are under the weather. It contains Astragalus, which is also great for the immune system on top of helping out your adrenals.
- Magnesium CALM – Amazing mineral that maintains health of muscles, bone, and nerve tissues. Extremely helpful with anxiety, insomnia, and depression. List goes on with this one. This has been part of my bedtime regimen for a while now, and I can’t live without it! Dose is 325 mg.
- Probiotics (my favorite is Culturelle Health & Wellness) – 1 a day. I’ve tried so many probiotics. This one has been my forever favorite for a while now. My immunologist recommended it a couple years ago, and I love it. 70% of our immune system is housed in our guts! So it’s important to take special care of it and make sure it’s working up to speed. Taking a good probiotic helps! ☺
- CBD- Amazing Anti-inflammatory, great for a sleep aid and anti-anxiety etc. 2 drops on the tongue before bedtime.
- Wellness Formula by Source Naturals: These vitamins are incredible for helping the immune system fight, but they are a little hard on the tummy. So I was taking half of the serving size every day for an immune boost and skipped some days if I felt not needed. (Capsules definitely make it easier on the stomach, so make sure you get those instead if you’re interested in trying them).
A few other over the counter things I used that were helpful – Advil and Advil PM for the excruciating throat pain and body aches temporarily. And my Dr. recommended Cepacol lozenges for the throat as well as for the cough.
Ok friends, so as stated before. I am not a Dr. I have been through a lot with my lyme disease and health issues. So I’m very familiar with things like knowing how to keep the immune system up and fighting pathogens, mainly because I’ve been doing it for the last 8 years. A big chunk of my life is Dr. appointments and constantly informing myself through research about health and wellness. I do get everything monitored through blood work every 3 months. My point? Talk to your Dr. or health care professional before adding anything new to your daily regimen. I’m happy to help and make suggestions, but it’s always good to talk to a medical professional and get their advice for your personal needs. Again, this is what personally worked for me and most of it was recommended by several Drs. for me throughout the years with my Lyme journey.
I’m exceptionally grateful that I didn’t spread this to anyone I love. That has always been my biggest fear with COVID – passing it to someone I care deeply about and then have to worry about them. So for that I am eternally grateful. I am also grateful for how strong my body has become in order to put up such a good fight against this virus in particular. My body continues to amaze me as time goes on, especially after everything it’s been through.
Last but definitely not least. Due to the fact that I was clearly quarantined, I couldn’t leave to get some very important necessities during this time. With that being said, I would like to thank, with all of my heart, my incredible family for all the love and several drop-offs containing much needed necessities, my dear sweet best friends, for dropping off care packages with much needed items, and my bae for bringing me my favorite soup! Along with all of that, daily check-ins filled with love and care from all of them! I can’t tell you all how much it all meant to me. You’ll never know, but I’ll do my best to express my gratitude to you! By saying THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU and I’m so incredibly GRATEFUL for every single one of you!!! I appreciate you all more than you know. But most of all, my dear sweet little companions and mini loves of my life, my precious felines Caleb and Tobias for never leaving my side, showing me non-stop love, and cuddling me extra when needed the most. Animals don’t talk, but I swear with all of my heart they are capable of showing more love and affection then most humans I know. And to be honest, I don’t know what I’d do without them. (I kept them safe and healthy during this time with my favorite antiviral powder supplement for pets recommended from our Veterinarian called Viralys) They actually love it, and it works great!
I would like to officially end with this. I’m so very sorry if someone you love suffered from COVID or didn’t make it after a battle with COVID. My heart goes out to all of you!! I’m also sorry if you suffered from it and had a tough time recovering. Stay strong; you are all warriors! I am also sorry to all the people that feel like they can’t live life like they used to because of this. I’m so sorry if you feel like a big chunk of your freedom got taken away. I guess that’s why I venture out so much. I personally refused to feel that way. I hope you all keep your immune systems strong, your hearts full, and your head held high through these difficult times. I also hope you stay brave enough to be able to enjoy yourselves out in this crazy world, even if it’s just a little bit. And last but not least, I hope that this has helped you in some way or another. Whether it’s to keep your immune system strong to prevent getting sick, fight the common cold or even Covid or to help someone you love get better or fight something. Either way, I hope you got something out of it! Stay healthy, my sweet friends. Love you all!